A Glimpse at Roommates Past...

Monday, July 16, 2012



I remember I was in my senior year of high school when I first started to hear all of the awful things about college roommates. All of the older women whom I knew who'd been to college would tell me "Now McKenna.. you may have some tough people to live with..." while the rest of the brood would stand there and nod their heads with seriousness at me. 

I heard scary stories of mountains of dirty clothes lying everywhere, weeks old dishes, music blaring into the wee hours of the night... 

Not a pretty picture for a soon-to-be freshman. 

And yet, I wasn't really worried about it. In fact, roommates were one of the last things on my mind in the months previous to me leaving for college. I wish I could remember what I was thinking about, it must have been really important... probably boys.

Anyway, to all of you freshman who will be going to school in fall I tell you this:

1. Don't listen to all of the scary stories people tell you. Yes, some of them may be true, but it's never as bad as people make it sound, and worse case scenario you get a GREAT story out of it.

2. Roommates are a two way street. There's always something you can do to make it at least a little better! Don't feel defeated just because your roommate might be a little sensitive or not like your taste in music.

3. The beauty of being in college is that no one can make you stay in your room! If you're not diggin the vibes, just head on over to your neighbor's apartment.

4. Your roommates can become some of the best friends you've ever had if things go right. So do your best to make your apartment just a little better, and you'll have a great time.


Speaking of some of the best friends you've ever had, that's what my roommates have become to me. 



My first semester, I lived with 3 other girls. 1 of them is married with an ADORABLE little boy and we love her still.
The other 2 have been my roommates ever since. 
I've also lived with several of my neighbors from my first semester and still consider them to be my bests. 
Along the way we've also adopted several other girls who I've come to love living with.

All in all, it has been such a blast to live with these girls. Looking back on the past 3 years, I'm not sure how my college life would have panned out without them.

So here's a look back through the years of roommates past...

WARNING: You are about to get an overload of coordinating roommate pictures. 


First semester in the dorms. Carly, Trenna, Me, and Karla. 

Halloween. Yes, we were always this attractive




First semester down. Enter, a little older, not much wiser 2nd semester.

Question for past self: "Eh-em. Why.. oh, why.. would you wear a shirt with a piggly wiggly on it??"


3rd semester = drastic improvement in wardrobe. Love these girls.

Then I spent a semester living in Mexico! Carly, one of my besties and roommates since the beginning was my roommate for that adventure.

I know. She's gorgeous.

Bam. Back into the American swing of things!



We take Harry Potter midnight premieres very seriously.


Here comes my third fall semester. The nostalgia is overwhelming.


After so many roommate pictures, you really need to get creative.



And now here we are. Spring 2012.

I can't believe all of the fun I've had with the girls I've lived with. 
We've been together through some of the hardest, and best things any of us have ever experienced.

Has it been perfect? Not by a long shot. But I wouldn't have had it any other way. 

Love to all my past and present roomies, plus the rest of you who've been there since the beginning.

It has been so much more than fun :)


2 comments:

  1. love your blog!
    And this post is just wonderful-such lovely memories.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Josie! You're so sweet, and I hope you're doing GREAT!

    ReplyDelete