My Mini-Obsession

Saturday, May 17, 2014



Food has been, and always will be, one of the pillars of my life.
I am that person that is willing to plan road trips, vacations, weekends, evenings, and any other space of time around a certain meal or trying out a restaurant. And I'm not ashamed of it.

Wednesday is my favorite night of the week because I cook for, not just Josh and I, but for his family also (a small thank-you for letting us live in their basement.)
I spend a fair amount of time thinking of the mood I want the food to give, the heaviness of each dish and the feeling I want people to have as they walk away from it.




My siblings have always teased me a bit because, even as a small child, my favorite place to be was either the pantry, the kitchen table or the stove. It used to bother me, but I'm pretty proud of my mini obsession now. And I can't deny that sneaking snacks down to my room even after dinner was a liiiiittle over the top. But I really and truly just have always enjoyed the experience of eating.

I also like to think that I'm not a snob when it comes to food either. Believe me, I will spend  too much time at the fancy cheese section of the grocery store and I dream of those plated meals with more decoration than actual food to consume- but I also have nights where a messy, greasy piece of pizza and a nice beverage truly hit the spot. And I'm pretty sure that I can out-eat my husband any day of the week (I won't even try to use the excuse of pregnancy for that.)

Food is a passion and, yes, a great source of happiness for me. It has the power to cause a quiet pride in a person through the creation of a good meal, and the even more important power of bringing groups of people together. I believe some of the most important events in history happened at a table over a good meal. I know already that the time we spend at the table will be very important for Josh, me and our family.

And AS a born food enthusiast, I cannot wait to see these upcoming films that focus on the connection between food and human relationships.

The Hundred Foot Journey
Based on the novel
Produced by Steven Spielberg and Oprah Winfrey


Chef
Written, directed by and starring Jon Favreau



No comments:

Post a Comment