Mother's Day Weekend

Wednesday, May 14, 2014


Josh and I took a trip to the Mall of America on Friday for a pre-Mother's Day date. 
I won't lie, the first couple of time I went to the MoA, I wasn't all that impressed. I basically felt like it was a big (very big) mall with a couple of rides in the center. 

For some reason this time my eyes were opened. We went to a delicious restaurant called the CRAVE, and ordered ahi tuna, a spicy lamb burger for Josh and spicy shrimp fettucine for me.

Maybe we've just been in Rexburg too long, but this food BLEW OUR MINDS. The burger was incredible, and my fettucine set a new standard for pasta in my life. 

Then we perused Nordstrom Rack, Urban Outfitters, and a few of my other favorite stores before topping off the trip by splitting an almond toffee caramel apple from Rocky Mountain Chocolate Factory.

Top date night, for sure.


Then later in the week I got an early MD package from my Dad and Mandy in Arizona!
Dried mango, word games, a super cute onesie, and the BEST Costco baby wipes.



Packages just make a person feel so loved.






Mother's Day began in the Naatjes house with a crepe breakfast made by Josh, his Dad, Chuck and his little sister Rachel. 

Crepes? Yes please, I'll take two. Extra nutella and strawberries.

Bacon? Yes please, I'll take two. Extra nutella and straw... never mind.






Then Josh's mom, Kris, and I opened our gifts!
An iPad Air, potted geranium, and a sweet tile picture made by Rachel for her.
A pair of beautiful Kate Spade earrings, a cute diaper changing pad, monogrammed mug and DQ gift card for me! 





Haha, what a morning of cooking and present wrapping will do.



After church we headed over to Josh's Uncle Scott's house for dinner and to hear from the two missionaries in the family- Josh's sister Jessica (Sacramento) and his cousin Nicole (South Korea)

Dinners with the Naatjes family are a weekly thing and are always a party. It was one of the things that made me really excited about moving out to Minnesota.





The men-folk.


Happy, engaged people. Cuuute.




These girls. The two most opposite personalities in the world, but boy do they love each other.
 It's very fun to watch.





It's crazy to think that she's coming home in a little over 3 months! Time really does fly.





Food for the masses. Josh's cousin Kendall makes excellent baked ziti.





Mother's Day was pretty wonderful this year. It felt like a birthday, but one that you get to celebrate with every other woman that you know. To be honest I felt a bit like I was cheating as I received gifts and accolades throughout the day. It was like getting the praise without doing any of the work. Don't get me wrong- pregnancy in it's own right is work (first trimester anyone?), but it's nothing to actually caring for a human being.
Mother's Day though, especially in the church, seems to somehow turn into a wonderful celebration of women in general and our natural inclination and ability to mother. In all ways, shapes and forms.

My sisters, niece and sister-in-law at my rehearsal dinner.

I've always felt very blessed to have the women in my life that I do and I thought a lot about them as we celebrated this weekend. I thought of my Grandma's who are beacons of commitment, love and goodness. I thought about my sister-in-law who's doing a spectacular job of raising my two sweet nieces. I thought about all of my YW leaders and Relief Society Sisters that have been surrogate mothers and sisters to me throughout my life. I thought about my own sisters, their strength and ability to make and sustain friendships. I thought about my Mom and the many gifts that she's given me. The greatest one being her constant love and devotion.

Since marrying Josh I've been able to add even more incredible women to my list of examples and friends. His mom, grandma's and aunts are some of the most amazing women I've ever met- and they've done a great job at making me feel like part of the family. 

All in all it was a wonderful weekend. I'm very grateful for the amazing people in my life and for the many women I have to look to for guidance and direction when this little girl makes me a Mom.

p.s. Little girl gave her first kicks the night of the Mother's Day. Best. Gift. Ever.

2 comments:

  1. Mckenna I love reading your posts! You'll be such a cute mommy :) Best of luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Staci! So good to hear from you! You're too nice. I hope everything's going well for you in Rexburg!

      Delete