A Sensitive Subject

Thursday, September 20, 2012



My friends. We're going to discuss something that is very important, and dear to my heart. 


A passion that I've had since childhood.


A work in progress over the past 4 years.


And a happiness so great that there are times when I wonder if I can feel any more complete than I do at this moment.





We're talking about really, really..... great spaghetti sauce. 





Courtesy of Pioneer Woman




I know. It's kind of a big deal.


But really, though. I don't know a whole lot of people that don't love coming home on a Sunday afternoon {or any afternoon for that matter} to the smell of onions, garlic, herbs, and tomato simmering in a pot next to some boiling pasta noodles. 

It's a comfort that I've only recently identified as a staple in my life.


It's one of the easiest and most versatile dishes that I know of. One where you will find that almost every person in the world does theirs just a little bit differently than the next. 


Yesterday, while I was at the grocery store, sorting through my basket and checking olive oil off of my list {also another love of mine} I simply decided that it was meant to be a spaghetti night.



Cue the Bella Notte song from Lady and the Tramp!






And there it is.

All the romance that I feel is associated and always will be with this dish.


Thank you, Disney, for this special moment.


Cue the Disney movie intro music!


Kidding.


I, myself, like all different types of spaghetti. Light sauce, thick sauce, emphasis on hearty meat, emphasis on simple basil and tomatoes- I'll take it practically any which way.

Sidenote: One of my sole reasons for wanting to go to Italy- is to eat the pasta there. I feel like it would be an unforgettable experience for my taste buds, and I think they deserve it.


This is the recipe I've been using recently, and I'm really liking it! 
It's on the thicker, meatier side, but hey- that happens.

Also, it seems like whenever I make it... people just come flocking! Seriously, I rarely make this dish and end up with Josh and I being the only ones eating it. 

It's magical that way. Brings people together.

Warning, there's quite a bit more to this recipe than simple tomatoes and herbs.
But don't let it intimidate you!

  • Start by sautéing half an onion, chopped, and a couple of diced garlic cloves in a deep set pan on medium-high heat
  • Once they've cooked for a few minutes, throw in small package of ground beef
  • Let that get decently browned and flavored with the onions and garlic (amazing things are happening)
  • Now here's where I get weird. Most people would drain the fat at this point. I know that this is a crucial step that all good, decent people do in their lives... But I honestly sometimes forget. I know- how could I??
  • SO. Don't be me, drain the fat. K? K.
  • Throw in a chopped up green bell pepper
  • Season meat with salt, pepper, garlic salt, basil and oregano
  • Pour in one can diced tomatoes
  • This may be sounding like a homemade sauce, but I actually have always added store-bought sauce to this recipe. It adds so much substance and flavor without as many cans or work. Win, win, win.
  • So, as long as we're still ok, pour in a can of store-bought sauce along with half a can of those mini tomato pastes. I know, it's thick.
  • Taste test, add additional seasoning.
  • Simmer
  • Pour over a plate of thin or regular spaghetti noodles and feel your endorphins level rise


The greatest thing about this sauce is that there are several things that you can not include from it and it will STILL be just grand.
I get tired as a college student trying to find every daggum ingredient these online recipes would call for, stressing out that the dish would never live up to its potential without that tarragon...

So I let go. And leaned more towards dishes that were flexible, and almost always yummy.

It's been livin' easy ever since.


Well... there's still tuition... rent... early mornings... 

Anyway.


Hope you enjoy!

And feel free to share any recipes you like.

I'm always looking for my next staple :)







No comments:

Post a Comment